Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A confession

I have a confession, this weighed on my heart for some time now. Are you ready for it? Here goes, I hate the song "our god is an awesome god" can't stand it. Don't get me wrong, I used to like it when I was 7. But I am in dire need of an explanation of why anyone sings it anymore. Does anyone actually remember the words? I mean, besides the chorus, everyone knows the chorus. I mean the versus. Anyone? No? Didn't think so. I remember one line, "When He rolls up His sleeves, He ain't just puttin' on the ritz" Really? Putting on the ritz? This sounds like a song that Sinatra might be down with. It also reminds of my time in the elementary school chorus, singing old Broadway show tunes.

I'm of the opinion that once a worship song reaches Internet meme status it's time to put it away, get together with the all the balding worship leaders in your area, and give it the funeral it deserves, qui gon gin style and for those of you unfamiliar with the guy he was obi-wan kenobi's master, and he was cremated at the end of star wars episode one. Burn it, get rid of it even that secret floppy disc hidden in your desk.

I used to think that god was a huge fan of worship music whenever it was played. But as I was reading some psalms earlier I came across a line that wrecked my notions.

The psalm has God himself first demanding the unwavering attention of the planet then he gets a little upset. He asks if we think he happens to be in dire need of songs, if we think he needs music, which He says He breathed into life in the first place. The question seems to ask "then why do you keep singing when you don't mean it?"

The worship songs we sing can get stale after a while. The go from excitedly praising God and reminding us of who we are to dull lifeless songs we sing because we always have or because everyone else is singing why have we developed an allergy to getting rid of things like this when they no longer have life? Further on in the slam God even says that dead praise might actually make him angry. God doesn't care about the song, he cares about the heart behind it , he cares that you do it to the best of your ability.

And if changing up the songs or throwing some away completely then do it, do whatever it takes.


-Chuck


2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Good on you mate! This music is also often rather cheezy.

It would be a better idea to worship with our lifes instead!

Alex Green said...

Yep. Terrible song. But people have an emotional attachment to stuff that Rich Mullins wrote because he was a great example of worshipping God with our lives.

Still, I hate that song.